Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bimini.

After a few week hiatus doing what pays for my boating, I return with yet another tale of exploration, of warmer climes, of Fun!  That is, of course, our first trip to the Bahamas (the Biminis to be more precise) by boat.  I have often heard people talking about running to the Bahamas, read about their trips, and seen the countless photos of Crystal Clear water and tropical towns.  Now its my turn!

I was scheduled to be working in Florida last Friday, so with some gentle nudging and a decent amount of planning, I was able to wrangle the family into my plot, and they all headed down with me to Florida.  We left Saturday morning, after a somewhat lazy start, from about as far up the New River's south fork as you can possibly hope for.  Never having travelled this waterway, some quick reading tipped me off to the many bridges, and somewhat tight channels that I was in store for.  Why does Florida love its drawbridges???



And talk about some tight turns!  There are a couple of hairpin turns that would give an F1 driver a run for their money...


Onward!  Out to open water an HOUR later (not kidding here, its an hour to get to open water... Shoot me in the head.)  Once we got into open water, we were able to stretch our gals legs, and with the 2-3 foot rollers, we had a nice comfortable 25 kt. cruise for the 48 mile run to Bimini.  48 miles, not too bad.  I had a mental image if it being much longer... but all in all, we were there in two hours and twenty minutes or so.  Of course that meant that the girls had a perfect nap break, which they took advantage of...


Once we got into Bimini, it was beautiful.  Seas less than 2', Bahama Blue water (which just doesn't come through in photos... ) 82 degree weather, and a light breeze.  What more can you hope for??


Gorgeous.  And what a feeling arriving there on your own.  I know I've said it before, but you really do feel like an explorer.  Its just you, your boat, and wherever you want to go.  No rules (well, some rules) no structure.  Its a great feeling.



Well, thats our arrival.  My flight is coming up soon to take me back to the wretched New England weather we are having, so thats all for now.  Next update, DIY snorkeling, and a nosey stingray!


No comments:

Post a Comment