Saturday, February 22, 2014

So near, So far....


So this weekend is a work weekend.  In Chicago no less.  My Fiancé sent me this postcard from West Palm, where she was vacationing with her mother this week.  Thanks Hun... Here, it's cold, icy, and of course, I have a view over the water, which, albeit, is frozen, still puts me in the mood to be on the boat.  After looking at this for the past three days, I can't help but get a bug for doing the Great Loop as well.


You can see the ice built up just inside the locks at the lower right of the photo.  Outside that, there is ice right up to the seawall just past the pier.  Ugh.  I never think of the Great Lakes as a boating destination.  I have a few memories of salmon fishing on Lake Ontario as a kid, and really it's just the memories of steep, stacked up waves crashing down over the 12 meter Trojan that we had chartered to take us out.  Truth be told, that was a wonderful trip; but that memory sticks out the most.

As the time gets closer to our first leg of the trip, you can feel a crescendo of excitement building.  Texts are being traded, last minute gear ideas are discussed, and tomorrow, the last of the packages of supplies and gear (namely my sat phone and tool box) are being sent off to their new home.  

Well, enough about that.  Its dinner time in the windy city, and every year I look forward to eating at least one meal at The Publican. Pork Belly, fantastic house made charcuterie, and a waitstaff that all earned a spot by starting in the butcher shop next door.  My kind of place.  




No comments:

Post a Comment